New Permanent Residence Visa for New Zealand Citizens

New Zealand Citizens who arrived after 26 February 2001 but before 19 February 2016 may be eligible for a new Australian permanent residency visa with streamlined Australian Citizenship. The new arrangement recognises Australia’s close relationship with New Zealand.

Permanent Residency Visa Requirements

In addition to health and character requirements, New Zealand Citizens who wish to apply under the proposed new Permanent Residency pathway will need to demonstrate:

  • That they have been living in Australia for the last 5 years prior to applying for the permanent residency visa
  • That they have worked in Australia with a taxable income at or above the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT). The TSMIT is currently A$53,900 but is being revised by an independent committee.

The regulations for implementation of this new stream within the Skilled Independent Visa is yet to be finalised.  More requirements and detail will be generated by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

The new pathway will open for applications on 1 July 2017. Register below for updates as more information is announced.


The visa application charge paid to DIBP will be the same as for General Skilled Migration visa applicants. This is A$3,600 for the primary applicant, A$1,800 for secondary applicants  18 years or over, and A$900 for secondary applicants under 18.

It is proposed that New Zealanders who apply under this program will only need to pay 20% of the visa application charge to DIBP at time of application. The remaining 80% will be paid prior to grant of the visa by the DIBP.


New Zealanders under this scheme can apply for Australian Citizenship after one full year of residency in Australia holding a permanent visa.

In addition, the usual requirements of Citizenship such as being of good character, passing the citizenship test and maintaining a relationship to Australia will be assessed.

Find out more

The new visa program commenced 1 July 2017 and the final details of the requirements are yet to be released. Register for email updates by clicking here.