The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection has announced that alternatives to the IELTS English Test will be acceptable for certain visas from November 2014.
Which English Language tests are acceptable?
The alternatives to the IELTS Test that will be accepted from November 2014 are the TOEFL Internet Based Test and Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic).
The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection has advised that the following visa subclasses will be participating in the new scheme:
- Distinguished Talent (Australian support) (subclass 124)
- Business Talent (subclass 132)
- Former Resident (subclass 151)
- Business Owner (provisional) (subclass 160)
- Senior Executive (provisional) (subclass 161)
- Investor (provisional) (subclass 162)
- State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (provisional) (subclass 163)
- State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (provisional) (subclass 164)
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor (provisional) (subclass 165)
- Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
- Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
- Business Innovation & Investment (provisional) (subclass 188)
- Skilled – Independent (subclass 189)
- Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190)
- Work and Holiday (temporary) (subclass 462)
- Skilled – Recognised Graduate (subclass 476)
- Temporary Graduate (subclass 485)
- Skilled – Regional (provisional) (subclass 489)
- Distinguished Talent (subclass 858)
- Skilled – Regional (subclass 887)
- Business Innovation and Investment (permanent) (subclass 888)
- Business Owner (Residence) (subclass 890)
- Investor (Residence) (subclass 891)
- State/Territory Sponsored Business owner (Residence) (subclass 892)
- State/Territory Sponsored Investor (Residence) (subclass 893)
What test score will I need?
The following table determines the equivalent standards as deemed by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection:
|English Language proficiency level||Test component||IELTS||TOEFL iBT||PTE Academic||OET|
|Functional||Average across test components only||4.5||32||30||n/a|
|Proficient (for points tested Skilled visas)||Listening||7.0||24||65||B|
|Superior (for points tested Skilled visas)||Listening||8.0||28||79||A|
How can I find out more about the alternative English Language tests?
Speak to your migration agent or visit the following sites:
Information provided by http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/reports/report-12-05-2014/
Are you subscribed to email updates? Subscribe now for free.
*This news update is for your information only and does not constitute immigration advice. You should not make any decisions based on the information provided in this news update.*