I’m a Chef – How can I migrate to Australia?

checklistFollowing the announcement of the new Skilled Occupation List starting 1 July 2014, we have received many enquiries from Chefs about migration to Australia.  This is because “Chef” will return to the SOL list for independent migration.

Am I a chef?

The most important question to ask is “Am I a Chef?”. Chef is a different occupation to Cook.  In order to migrate successfully as a Chef, you will most likely need to have at least 3 years experience as a Chef and a completed Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery.  If you don’t have the required work experience yet, you may be eligible for a temporary visa.

I just completed/graduated from a Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery. Am I eligible?

The return of Chef to the Skilled Occupation List means that many student visa holders who have studied in Australia for at least two academic years, and attained a recognised Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery may be eligible for a Subclass 485 Visa to stay in Australia for up to 18 months.

This will enable them to gain the Australian work experience necessary to apply for Permanent Residency.  Applicants will need to meet a number of strict immigration criteria.

The subclass 485 visa is only available to people who have held an eligible visa, such as a student visa.

What if I’m an overseas Chef?

Overseas Chefs will need to demonstrate competency equivalent to operating standards of an Australian qualified Chef in line with established benchmarks.

What pathways to Australian Residency are available?

The pathways available to Chefs include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • Points Tested Migration (Independent)
  • Points Tested Migration (Sponsored)
  • Employer Sponsored Visa
  • Temporary Graduate Visa
  • Regional Sponsored Migration

How can I get help?

Our team helps Chefs from around the country call Australia home.  Submit an online enquiry and a member of our friendly team will discuss how we can help.

*This page is for your information only and does not constitute immigration or legal advice.  Always consult an registered migration agent personally before making any decisions*